851) If he doesn’t wear a shirt in public, even in the sweltering heat (anywhere but the beach and the pool), is not for you.
852) You don’t need to do your hair.
853) If it looks like your bra (e.g. bikini top) treat it as such in public. I don’t care how hot it is. (pool/beach exception stands)
854) Tube tops are a blight on humanity. You will not wear them.
855) No smoking
856) Bring a water bottle.
857) Listen to people, even if they seem draining.
858) You never know what is they’re trying to say.
859) A task that needs to be done with another person isn’t a chore, it’s an opportunity.
860) When it comes to your friends, have loft goals for staying together.
861) If you find yourself assuming the things people are saying are about you, you are being selfish.
862) If people are talking about someone and you think it is you. If you think that because you don’t like what they’re saying, maybe it’s time to change that aspect of your life.
863) Do not try to impress your friends. They already decided to love you.
864) In fact, don’t bother trying to be impressive.
865) There are worse things than a hot day.
867) No experience is more important than the people you are experiencing life with.
868) No rompers.
869) Keep even the small things that are important to you.
870) Meanwhile, don’t be a hoarder.
871) Ideally, your life can fit in your car.
872) You aren’t going to get everything you want.
873) You shouldn’t get everything you want.
874) Don’t be afraid, though, to let people know what you want.
875) If you can’t choose flip a coin. It will usually give you the answer you don’t want.
876) Chicago pizza is the best sort.
877) Your plans aren’t always going to be God’s plan.
878) Community is not your God.
879) Christ-centered living is not easy.
880) If your life is easy you probably are likely living for yourself.
881) Give a grander thank you to those who have no reason to be generous to you.
882) No one has any reason to be generous. or kind
883) Skirts are better than shorts. Always
884) The opportunity to proof-read peoples’ papers or e-mails or whatever it is they might need you to proof-read is a beautiful chance to read about what is truly important to them.
885) Balance your time.
886) Do not over commit yourself.
887) Know how to say “no”
888) Some times people just need to be with someone. Don’t make them talk if they don’t want to.
889) Silence between friends is a beautiful thing.
890) When you can, share a room with as many friends as you can.
891) Long, intense conversations will happen when you want to be asleep. Have them. As long as you need to
892) If something about an activity (in a movie or conversation) is hard for you to take in emotionally, speak up.
893) Or walk away.
894) Counseling is an important, challenging and wonderful thing.
895) Always be prepared for the possibility of swimming.
896) Sleep is a valuable and essential thing.
897) People are more important and more essential.
898) Packing seems like the worst thing in the world. It isn’t.
899) Leaving is.
900) Especially when you know you have to.
802) When it’s remotely possible read aloud, even to yourself.
803) Go on surprise roadtrips
804) Embrace spontaneity.
805) Do not fear a plan.
806) You should not ever have a reason to be afraid of the people you love and those who love you.
807) Every day does not have to be an event.
808) Never assume he’s flirting with you.
809) Assume he’s flirting with your friend. It’s easier.
810) Do not fear the seemingly mundane.
811) Enjoy your solitude when you can get it.
812) You won’t and don’t have to be invited to everything.
813) Understand the value of personal space. In yourself and others.
814) When it is possible know your friends’ families.
815) A quiet night alone is not the worst thing. Often it’s the best thing.
816) Being a part of a large group of friends will make it impossible to keep everyone happy.
817) It is not your responsibility to maintain everyone’s happiness.
818) Being a part of a large group of friends will make it impossible to keep everyone constantly included.
819) This includes you.
820) A good-bye should not last longer than the value of the relationship.
821) If he punches you in the shoulder as a greeting, he is not for you.
822) No one to stop pushing.
823) Don’t quit out of fear that you’ll fail.
824) Boys are dumb. (your grandmother’s rule)
825) Boys are jerks. (your grandmother’s rule)
826) There is no time for the emergency room. (your grandmother’s rule)
827) Once you begin waking up at a certain time every morning on a consistent basis it will become very difficult to sleep much passed that.
828) When distance is an issue, see the people important to you as often as you can, without being a burden or obnoxious.
829) When people start to leave or things start to change keep in mind that you are not the only person in everyone’s life.
830) If the “long drive” is for a good reason it really won’t seem like that long of a drive.
831) When traveling stay with friends when you can.
832) But don’t be an imposition.
833) Even if you don’t like weddings they are a great excuse for a reunion.
834) Lose your cellphone for a few days. I promise it won’t kill you.
835) Keep a list in your head of the people you need to spend time with before you leave, wherever it is that you’re leaving.
836) Plan out the biggest or most important parts of a planned trip. Otherwise, leave the rest to fate and spontaneity.
837) Do not be ashamed of your past. It made you who you are.
838) Some of the most fascinating people you will ever meet, you will never see again
839) Everyone is a story. Listen to them.
840) Do not be controlled by fear.
841) It is not wrong to be concerned, but do not be consumed by worries and what-ifs.
842) A calm voice will get you much further in life than a silent one.
843) Do not sit silently by while you watch something you disagree with take place.
844) If you can change it or think you can, get to work.
845) Do not take more time off than you need.
846) You do not disappoint me.
847) In relationships, do not let anyone feel that what you want is the only way for things to happen.
848) Do not humiliate or defame people, in front of them, in front of others or otherwise.
849) In relationships, it is important to speak your mind.
850) In relationships, it is important to know when to stay quiet.
751) Go. Even if it’s long and boring.
752) Getting what you want isn’t really happiness.
753) What could you possible have to do that is more important than the chance to say “good-bye” for the last time?
754) If you’re going on a trip and you feel you have to take a pet then you will drive.
755) Make the drive.
756) Yell about your sillier frustrations.
757) Do not date a friend’s ex.
758) Do not date someone a friend is interested in.
759) Live by the girl code, even if no one else will.
760) Technology makes it easier to stay in contact with the people you love. Don’t let it make you lazy.
761) Have the scary conversations.
762) Being indignant won’t solve the problem.
763) When you can, speak calmly; don’t yell.
764) When you can’t speak calmly wait until you can.
765) Just because someone wants to make you feel stupid does not mean that you are.
767) You should not have to hide who all of your friends are from other friends.
768) Your friends are not looking for you to be impressive.
769) When someone says something lovely that you do not want to forget please write it down.
770) Do not grow cold to the idea of being loved.
771) When you feel you least deserve it, don’t let yourself refuse love.
772) The most wonderful people in your life will not notice or care what state your appearance is in.
773) It’s never too cold for ice cream (from your aunt melissa)
774) It’s never too hot for hot chocolate, except for some times. (from your aunt melissa)
775) You’re never too old to be read to.
776) It as many green things as you can, except moldy things.
777) Skirts: The higher slit, the bigger the slut. (from your aunt melissa)
778) Don’t pack up your sweater after just a few hot days.
779) Play in the rain, even if you’ve already showered
780) Send your mother a mother’s day card on time, not a week and a half later like Aunt Melissa.
781) Do not complain about what you know you’re getting yourself into.
782) If you insist on silence during a movie or show then be the example.
783) Never judge a book by its movie.
784) The best ice cream is half an hour away.
785) There is nothing shameful about polishing off a whole ice cream cake with just a few friends.
786) Facebook friends are not Pokemon. You do not have to catch them all.
787) Keep a hair tie handy.
788) When the flowers start to die, they’re dead. Throw them away.
789) No problem cannot be solved with cookies. Whether giving them or taking them away.
790) If he is increasingly awkward or you are increasingly uncomfortable with him he is not for you.
791) When you borrow something return it the minute you are finished with it.
792) Never get drunk with strangers or people you don’t trust.
793) Two drink limit unless you’re with your dearest friends.
794) Learn to take hints. He might just not be that into you.
795) Fight it out and suck it up.
796) Don’t leave it unresolved.
797) Take good notes. Mental and physical. In life and in lessons.
798) Your friends are also your family.
799) When given the option spend time with the people you love over the ones you like.
800) Headbands are not for your forehead. Or boys.
801) If he wears a headband he’s not for you.
In a few short weeks, with short funding, I will be leaving my Huntington family and moving to Indy. To a beautiful apartment. With a wonderful kitchen. Hardwood floors. I want to marry this apartment. I want to bake in it every day. I want to curl up in the dining room/office and read or paint. I want to lay in my bed in my own place and enjoy some quality me time.
I start a brand new job only a couple of weeks after that. An associate editor. How important do I sound? It’s the change I’ve been looking for.
It’s a scary place though. The whole idea. I’ve had some wonderful people in my life. Headset, Spyband, the theatre department, Brett and Will. God has offered me something though in the last few months I never thought I’d get to have. 5 of the finest friends anyone could ask for and an army of other beautiful friends who I can hardly believe I must leave. It’s the hardest and probably most important thing I’ve ever had to do. But here comes the kick. Get ready.
701) Never walk away from a good-bye.
702) Some of your favorite days will be marked by the most mundane activities and the most extraordinary people.
703) It’s never too late to let people know how much you appreciate them.
704) Everyone deserves a chance.
705) When you know change is coming spend as much time with your friends as you can.
706) Please don’t fight the need to cry.
707) Even if you must go alone, travel to see your friends.
708) Stay until the very last-minute you can.
709) When it’s the last time, there is no bed time.
710) You’re not going to realize all the things you wanted to do until the end, when there isn’t time.
711) Phones are important.
712) Do not fear being by yourself.
713) Being by yourself does not mean that you are alone.
714) Do not discredit people simply because they are new to you.
715) When things are at an end do not focus on the end. Focus on the what you still have. Enjoy every moment
716) Keep stamps on hand
717) Have the hard conversations
718) Don’t lose sight of what you truly value.
719) A resignation is not letting someone down.
720) when you can stand next to large bodies of water and enjoy the expanse.
721) The joy of truly good friends is the opportunity to feel you do not have to perform or pretend.
722) Do your best to never make the people in your life feel like you are controlling them
723) Do not manipulate humans.
724) Your spare key, especially to your car, is best kept as your responsibility.
725) Turn signals are not to be trusted
726) Some times, strangers are the most generous and helpful people.
727) Some times they’re scary and dangerous.
728) Drive safely.
729) Be careful.
730) When you must say good-bye. Only say it once. Don’t make it harder than it has to be.
731) Some times the things people tell you in your dreams, dream though it may be, are important things for you to hear.
732) You won’t always get to be a part of every little thing. This isn’t a bad thing.
733) The things in others that annoy you the most are often the things you dislike the most about yourself. Fix yourself first.
734) If you forgot bug spray, those bites are your own fault.
735) When it is hot your hair will not look the way you want. It probably won’t be pretty. It’s hot. People understand.
736) Soul mates are a silly idea. Doesn’t mean they don’t exist. It also doesn’t mean yours won’t be the finest friend you’ve ever had and not necessarily a boy.
737) When you can, wake up early.
738) Your burdens do not have to be shouldered alone.
740) Road trips are often best soundtracked with the worst and most popular songs from your younger years.
741) Sofas can always seat more than 4.
742) Keep no one on your hook.
743) Lay outside with your friends and enjoy the sun. Or the rain.
744) Some times naps are essential.
745) Some times they are a bad use of time.
746) Keep Popsicles on hand in the summer
747) There is never too much ice cream
748) Newer isn’t always better.
749) The scariest steps are often the most important ones.
750) Some of the most crowded and friend-filled places will feel the loneliest and saddest. Don’t lose heart.